We welcome art, photography, creative writing, scientific reporting, opinion pieces, and mixed media projects of all kinds. This list is not exhaustive. Please send all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regarding acceptable topics / who can submit:
We are only accepting original pieces not published elsewhere. We welcome any submissions relevant to healthcare, medicine, and biomedical science; related to the Penn experience; and/or representative of current events affecting Philadelphia. If you have any questions about your topic, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
We prioritize submissions from the Penn Medicine student community. Submissions from outside of the PSOM community (including other health professional students, Philadelphia community members, and beyond) will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Regarding content guidelines:
Article (Essay, Science Writing, Prose, Narrative): We suggest a 1200 word limit (excluding references), but will accept longer pieces on a case-by-case basis.
- Please format your piece with 12 pt font, Times New Roman.
- Include at the top of the piece: name, one-sentence bio, class year and school affiliation, word count, title, and 1-2 sentence blurb (summary/memorable quotes) from the piece.
- Please cite any sources at the bottom of the article, if applicable.
- Please include images if you would like, but make sure you have the permission of the image owner or that the image is permitted for “reuse with modification.”
- If you have any special requests or comments, please include those in your email.
- Please include with your submission: name, one-sentence bio, class year and school affiliation, title (or lack of), and one-paragraph blurb/explanation.
- If you have special requests or comments on your piece, please include those in your email.
- For art/photography submissions, please submit as a .jpeg file and ensure that your piece is 300 dpi at minimum.
Pitches (No more than 250 words)
- Please include one of the following: an outline of the piece you are pitching, or a partial draft of the piece. We would also appreciate a writing or art sample of your previous work, but this is not mandatory.
- Please include with your submission: name, class year and school affiliation.